Ingredients – Soya butter, apple compote, raw sugar, almond milk, ground flaxseed, soya yogurt, gluten free organic flour, baking powder, vanilla and organic cocoa powder
This cake is a classic in France. It is a cake that reminds me of my childhood, probably one of the first cakes I have ever baked. It is easy to make and it is fun….and delicious of course. This is why, kids and grown ups love it. You can play with the layers and make it more stripy than the one I made for instance. I suppose in the UK you may call this cake a zebra cake! I like having a big chunk of chocolate cake in the middle that’s why I usually just put 3 layers, vanilla, chocolate then vanilla again.
Here is how to make this vegan gateau marbré (using a standard coffee mug):
1/4 cup apple compote
1/3 cup non dairy butter
1/2 cup raw sugar
2 flaxseed eggs
1/4 non dairy yogurt (I used soya yogurt)
6 tbsp of almond milk
1 cup of gluten organic free flour
1 tsp of vanilla
1 tsp of baking powder
2 tbsp of organic cocoa powder
– First, make the apple compote. I usually make a big bowl that I can keep in the fridge for a few days and use in cakes or as a dessert in itself, or mixed with yogurt etc. To make apple compote, just peel and cut cooking apples in small pieces. Put the pieces in a saucepan with a little bit of water. Cook the apples until they become soft and form a puree. You can add vanilla to give the compote a nice flavour.
– Then make the flaxseed eggs. To make one flaxseed egg, just mix 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp of lukewarm water. Let the mixture set for a minute or 2 then mix it well.
– Once you have made your eggs and compote, pre-heat the oven then mix with a big spoon the apple compote, non dairy butter and raw sugar until you obtain a creamy mixture.
– Add the 2 flaxseed eggs, non dairy yogurt, almond milk and sifted flour & baking powder. Mix well and divide the mixture in 2.
– Add the cocoa powder to half of the mixture and the vanilla to the other half.
– Alternate the vanilla and cocoa layers in your cake dish.
– Cook at around 180c for 40 minutes. The timing may vary depending on your oven.
– Et voilà