Ingredients – Almonds, dates, sea salt, raw sugar, almond milk
Those little heart bites are really lovely to look at and even better to eat! I love salted caramel or caramel au beurre salé as we call it in France. I am from Brittany and there we are serious about our beurre salé! I used fleur de sel from Noirmoutier a lovely island rich in minerals and full of salt marshes. Really lovely salt. But obviously you don’t have to be that serious with your salt and could use any sea salt really (preferable grounded coarse sea salt). The salted caramel can get pretty sticky and messy but that why it is so fun to bake with.
Here is how to make those little heart bites (using a standard coffee mug):
1 cup of almonds
1 cup of dates
3 tbsp of raw sugar
3 tbsp of almond milk
1 tbsp of sea salt
– To make the base just blend the almonds and dates together and then press the mixture at the bottom of a baking tray.
– Put the tray in the freezer for an hour then once out use a baking cutter to get the shape you want. I used a small heart cutter and cut quite a few hearts.
– To make the salted caramel, put the raw sugar in a pan then heat it up until brown. Add the almond milk and use a wooden spoon to stir.
– Stir until the mixture becomes a bit sticky then remove from the heat and pour it on top of a wee heart. You can stack them up and put salted caramel between each heart like I did.
– Wait for the caramel to cool down before eating.
– Et voilà.